Original Inspiration Behind Novel
What was the original inspiration for my book; where did it come from? There’s the long version and the short version…I’ll share the short version with you. It all started once I began to think about writing a book. I ran through the different genres and stopped on science fiction because I immediately came up with an idea.
Ancient Aliens on H2
The idea was based on watching Ancient Aliens on H2. Have you seen that show? It discusses the various theories that aliens have been visiting Earth for millennia. Several experts in archeology and ancient alien theorists give their opinion as archeological evidence is examined with new eyes. The show demonstrates how similar carvings, themes, or buildings exist on different continents around the globe. It is a fascinating show.
One of the episodes showed a carving or drawing that resembled a modern day astronaut in a space suit. I wondered during that show, and later, if aliens were really future humans traveling back in time to give earlier civilizations a message. It is an interesting idea and plausible that future humans have figured out a way to time travel.
It started with a ‘what if’ question and blossomed from there. The idea grew into a novel over a year by a series of ‘what if’ questions that continue to provide inspiration for me.
- What if aliens were benevolent and cohabitated with future humans?
- What if humans and aliens interbred creating a new species, a hybrid species that is better than either species alone?
- What if human-alien hybrids discovered the ability to travel back in time?
- What if future human-alien hybrids could tell when past humans were making decisions that jeopardized their future?
- What if the human-alien hybrid looked more like an alien to modern humans?
- What if future human-alien hybrids decided to send someone back to ‘fix’ the past or correct an imminent mistake to save the future?
Each question led to the next question and so forth until the end of my novel.
While the current book can’t be directly related to Ancient Aliens, but the beginning idea certainly began while watching the show. Other shows or movies that have influenced the novel directly or indirectly include The X-Files on Fox and Star Wars episodes I-VI.
What about your ‘What If’ questions?
Do you have any ‘what if’ questions? Where can or have those questions taken you? What has been your inspiration? If your ‘what if’ questions have inspired you to create or start something new, please tell me about it in the comments below. I would love to hear where your ‘what ifs’ have taken you.